Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

I am so proud to stand with students today!

With Sociology Club students at the March in March Rally today at California's State Capitol.
Molly and I at the March in March Rally

I'm often asked how I will raise my daughter to be an activist. As with most things, living the example is the best education. I take my daughter to most all events that I attend. In her two and a half years she has gone to every vote I have cast; to Take Back the Night rallies to watch me speak; to walk with students at the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk and fundraiser; to rallies and protests against ballot measures that prohibit marriage equality; to Martin Luther King Jr. community celebrations; and today she attended the March in March rally for education at the state Capitol in California. We marched, we rallied, we chanted. My baby girl chanted "Si Se Puede" and made my heart sing and since coming home from the rally today she has been running around the house yelling "No More Cuts!" and "Power to the People!" with her fist in the air. I imagine the day she'll come out of her room with self-made signs protesting some injustice she believes her dad and I have imposed (like bed time, for example).

We had many conversations today about activism and why we go to rallies. What it means to stand up and raise our voices. How people can and do make change. I'm not sure the true extent she understands it all, and yes, I am choosing for her the issues we focus upon. But as I responded to a reporter today, I take my daughter to these events so she grows up knowing that people do act, that change can happen, and that her voice is important. So that when she is older and finds an issue that impassions her, she will know that activism belongs to her.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

As the CalWORKs Coordinator at a southern California community college, I have to say you are a wonderful inspiration to women! I'll be linking your blog to my Facebook for our students to read.

Kudos!