Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Celebrate the anniversary of Roe v. Wade!!

January 22, 2008--Thirty-five years of legal abortion! Roe v. Wade has always been a particularly special anniversary to me as I was born the year that the decision was won. And while Roe did not accomplish all our goals for accessible, affordable, politic-free abortion it is a significant statement respecting women to make the choices that are right for them. So today we take a moment to recognize the tireless work that has gone into winning this decision, protecting this decision, and providing the essential service of abortion. Blog for Choice is happening all over the country today. Check out the many who blogged today.

I have been a pro-choice activist for many years. And I have worked for, and now proudly sit on the board of, a feminist women's health center. I have done outreach, I have run education programs, I have talked to many women about abortion...from this and from the examples of countless women in the U.S. and around the globe, one thing that I know for certain is that women who want abortions will find a way to have them. Legality, and even safety, are neither a deterrent nor a motivator of abortion. Abortion is a truth in our lives as women. Indeed, not all women will choose abortion but many do. Each of these choices must be respected if women are ever to experience true self-determination. I believe we must not just advocate for the right to abortion, but the right to make that choice unapologetically, unashamedly.

In addition to celebrating this landmark decision, today (and every day) it is also important that we support our local, community, feminist health centers that provide our services. Their history is incredible and their daily work even more so. If you don't know already find out who your local & feminist provider is and thank them! Better yet, write them a check if you can afford to or volunteer your services if you have the time. Don't lose sight of the fight that continues every day to protect a woman's right to choose. It is a fight I certainly will continue so that my daughter, and the daughters of us all, grow up respected with options.

In choice!
Megan Seely

1 comment:

Cherry Red said...

Great post Megan! I also blogged for choice today. And your little feminist is a doll.

Kim:)